Monday, April 12, 2010

Mizzou #1


As my time at Mizzou winds down, I thought it would be appropriate to explain to some of my family and friends why I chose Mizzou and to go through my absolute favorite things about my four years here. So, the next few posts will be a little nostalgic for me, and probably not as exciting for you all, but maybe it'll just give you an insight into my time at Mizzou and why I love this school so much.

#1: Why Mizzou?

Throughout high school I basically pushed myself through classes. I never found one I truly appreciated. And, even when I did, I was discouraged by a not to be mentioned horrendous Physics teacher who said I wouldn't make it in the medical field. Thank the Lord I listened to him, because science classes would have been the death of me, but still, telling an impressionable young girl she isn't capable was a tad harsh.

Then, my Mom recommended that I take Introduction to Journalism my junior year. I thought of it as a blow off class and signed up to make an easy A. After day one, I was immediately hooked. I fell in love with finding out what was going on around my community and being able to meet new people through interviews. After two years in the Journalism department at Central High School, and serving as the News Editor for the Tiger I knew journalism was going to be my path in life.

I started talking to Mom about which schools I could go to. I googled the top 10 Journalism schools and started doing research on all of them. Then, I found out my Bobbob, who I admire more than any little girl can admire their grandfather, went to Mizzou and I was sold. I visited Mizzou with my Mom, and later with my good friend Sarah Kurrus (as can be seen in this photo), and knew by October that I was going to be a Mizzou Tiger.

When I started the Journalism School at Mizzou I was planning on specializing in broadcast journalism. I knew I didn't want to do advertising or public relations like the rest of the journalist in my family, and broadcast seemed like so much fun. However, through preliminary classes and hearing that I could possibly never quite make it in the broadcasting world, (and not to mention the money in public relations and advertising), I switched to be just like my Mom; a public relations professional.

Now, three years later, and dozens of writing, reporting and advertising design classes later, I am graduating with what the J-School likes to call a Bachelor of Journalism specializing in Strategic Communications. What that means is I can do advertising or public relations, but my emphasis is more in public relations.

Thanks to the amazing education I have earned while at the J-School, I have landed an amazing job working for the Higher Education Channel in St. Louis. I am going to be doing their communications and social media work. I am so excited, and thankful to my time at Mizzou for helping me make it to this point in my life.

So, now you all know why I chose Mizzou, what I did scholastically while here, and what I plan to do when I leave. Keep checking back the next few days for more fun stuff about my time at Mizzou and my favorite things about the school.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Miss Allyson! I'm so proud of you. I will never forget that excited little Allyson in Carol Choir and will be putting all that enthusiasm to work in such a way. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll always remember that first trip we made to Mizzou, for your campus tour and J-School interview. We left the campus that afternoon headed back to St. Louis and you said, "I'm finished looking. Mizzou is where I want to go." And then we were done while the rest of your friends scampered all over the country for the next six months. You sure made your decision early, made it very easy for me.

    ReplyDelete