Wednesday, April 21, 2010

#5 Family Time


I would like to preface this post with a warning: This will be the longest post I have written yet. But once you read it, you will understand.

A few of the reasons I chose to go to Mizzou were these:

1.It's not in Arkansas. I needed something new.
2.I didn't know anyone going so I would be forced to meet all new people.
3.It was far enough away where I could have my own stuff going on, but close enough that I could drive home or hop on a plane if I really missed home.

Out of these three reasons, #3 has proved to be the most valuable reason I chose Mizzou. I have really appreciated my experience of choosing a school where I knew no one. It forced me out of my comfort zone and tested my ability to make new friends and make lasting relationships without the help of any sort of connections. I surprised myself with my success at this, and in my staying at Mizzou. There were most definitely times where I wanted to leave. When the feeling that I was all alone at a big school got to me. But then I realized that there were people supporting me and encouraging me to do it.

I don't think that I would be writing this blog at all had it not been for my family. When these moments of thinking that I would transfer to a school closer to home started creeping up on me, they reminded me of what I was at Mizzou to do; get the best Journalism education I could. To these people, I would like to say Thank You. Thank you for 1) letting me go to this amazing school, but 2) encouraging me to stay and finish my time here. It was the best advice i'd ever received.

Within my third reason to go to Mizzou is the ability to still see my family. My family has come up for every Parents Weekend, every Chi O Mom and Dad's weekend and a few other weekends in between. These trips allow me to show off my school, my friends and the life I have created up here. Some times they have gotten me from month to month because I miss my family so much. As most of you know, my family is extremely close. I've never lived more than 10 minutes from my grandparents, and talk to them just as much as I talk to Mom. Anna-Lee and I tend to hang out like friends when we're at home, and not two sisters who occasionally do “sister outings.” Dad is always there providing me with fun things to do and great bonding time. And Mom, well she and I are closer than sometimes is healthy, considering we are pretty much the same person and can sometimes come to a head over things. But if there is one person I talk to the most in my life, other than my boyfriend, it's Mom. Every decision I make, every piece of advice that I need, it all goes through her.

I think that if I had gone to a school any further, I for sure would have left. But Mizzou has allowed these very important relationships to stay the same, and to even grow stronger.

Here are some of those amazing weekends I have talked about:

This first picture is from Sophomore year Parent's Weekend. Mom, Anna-Lee, Nanny and Bobbob all came up to visit me, and we had the best time. Football game, eating at my favorite Columbia restaurants that call for a parent footing the bill, and just hanging out with the family made this weekend amazing. Anna-Lee and I have had so much fun during her visit at Mizzou. I've introduced her to new people, shown her what college is all about, and shown her a few tailgates her so. Missing out on her time in High School has been hard, but being able to stay close with her has been great for our relationship.

This is from my freshman year Chi Omega Mom's Weekend. Mom and I went to the Winery with some of my sorority sisters and spent the weekend exploring Columbia; Devil's Ice Box, Cooper's Landing and Chim's Thai Kitchen. Mom's Weekend is one of my favorite weekends because it's girl time all weekend, but includes our Mommas. We've gone to comedy shows at Deja Vu, the Winery for brunch and ginormous Bloody Mary's and maybe a song or two at the Piano Bar.

And finally, this is a picture from senior year Chi Omega Dad's Weekend. Dad's Weekend always falls on a football weekend, which calls for some good ol' Tiger fun. We tailgate with the best of them and celebrate after our wins at some of Columbia's best patios. Dad's Weekend is always a time of “Daddy Daddy bonding time” like we were told this year. I've loved having my Dad up here because it's a time for us to hang out and for me to show him everything about Columbia.

These next pictures are just a few more from some of the fun weekends i've had when my family came to visit. Also, some pictures from St. Louis when Anna-Lee came for Christmas and at home in Little Rock since I'm close enough to visit.






1 comment:

  1. Mizzou was a fantastic choice, one neither of us will ever regret. i heart you. You'll always be my Al-pal.

    ReplyDelete