Tuesday, April 13, 2010

#2 Chi Omega


I would have to say that one of my favorite parts about my time at Mizzou has been my involvement with the Chi Omega sorority. I remember my first tour on campus when Mom and I came to visit senior year of high school. We got to the Greek side of campus and Mom said, “are you sure you want to be Greek? I don't know anything about it and you probably won't like it.” I automatically started to cry (I think I was a tad bit emotional). I remember begging her saying, “Mom, this school is so big. I don't know anyone. I have to do this to meet people.” And from that moment, Mom was gung-ho about the entire idea of being Greek, even helping me get my packets out to women across Little Rock for recommendations.

I pledged Chi Omega on August 15, 2006. Like most people I was hesitant at first, I met friends outside of it, and didn't get as involved as I should have my first year. Then, when I moved into the Chi O house my sophomore year, I immediately fell in love. I started taking on leadership roles, hanging out with girls in my pledge class and eventually becoming a fully participating member of Chi Omega.

This picture is of my pledge class on Bid Day Junior year. Sure, we've lost a few along the way, but I think that it has left the best girls who make our pledge class as amazing as it is. We have girls who are great at sports (my roommate Steph), girls who are great at behind the scenes work (like my roommate Natalie and her time as the flat designer for all of our skits) and people who take every leadership position they can (like my friends Hannah and Bonnie).

During my time as a Chi Omega I have served as Philanthropy Chair. This picture is from one of the wish granting we were involved in with the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Through philanthropies like the Annual Ice Cream Social and the Annual Omegamatch volleyball tournament, we provided this little girl with a $1,000 shopping spree. We were fortunate enough to tag along with her as she and her family went from store to store and finally ended up at a fun pizza party at Chuck E Cheese. Serving as Philanthropy Chair has been a very rewarding experience. I was able to be involved with a lot of the ins and outs of Chi O and see my fellow sorority sisters put their time and effort towards a good cause.

Another great thing about Chi Omega, and one of the fun parts, is the social opportunities it provides us. This picture is from one of our parties with the theme of what you were in high school. Of course, I wore my senior gold skirt, because what else was more of a right of passage at Central than becoming a senior and getting the honor of wearing the atrocious gold lemay skirt? (Please take a moment to notice Natalie's Robotics Club outfit.) These parties, along with the Sirena de Luna and White Carnation formals, provided a fun outlet for all of us. It gave us a reason to let loose and have fun when things can get stressful with tests, papers and projects.

Finally, I am thankful to Chi Omega for the friendships that it has provided me. As you can see in all of these photos, throwing up the Chi O sign is something we do on many occasions, even if it may not be appropriate (Oops). But, in all seriousness, these girls have become my family at Mizzou. They are the girls that I go home with for short holidays when home is just a little too far, or I go to when I need advice on life and love. They are the girls that I spend practically all of my time with, even when there's absolutely nothing to do. I love all of these girls and know that they will be lifelong friends.




Chi Omega has provided me with a family at Mizzou. It's provided me a way to channel my talents and grow as a person. I owe a lot of the growth that I have gone through in college to Chi Omega and the girls who make it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment